Friday, March 30, 2012

The Sportster: The Ride


The stop light at the middle of town concerned me. I slowed down and stopped next to Jay. There was a big delivery truck behind us, I attempted to not let it worry me, but he kept getting closer and closer. Jay looked over at me, “you doing okay?”

My expression must have scared him as we made eye contact. “Stick with me Beck!” He yelled.

I nodded, knowing I didn’t really have any option, I was at his will. The light turned green and we were off again. Luckily the truck wasn’t behind us at the next stop light. I was beginning to get tired after about 15 miles, I knew we’d have 15 more to get back home. When Jay stopped at the stop sign I knew I needed to tell him. He looked over at me, “Let’s head back.” He said before I could say anything.

I smiled, D would have continued to push me. I nodded and we turned around. The highway was open and quiet, it enabled us to go at a speed that I was comfortable with. The aggressive driving D had warned me of, didn’t appear.

We rolled into the pizza place. There were six bikes already parked there, D’s included. “What the hell.” I mumbled.

Jay and I parked our bikes with the mess, “It just the rest of the guys.”

I looked through the bikes and recognized Toby and Tennessees bikes. I sighed, “great.” There were three I had never seen before. My stomach knotted.


“I thought D didn’t ride with a club.”I said to Jay as I swung off my bike.

“We aren’t really a club. Just a group of friends that ride together.” He said as he took his helmet off.

I pulled my helmet off and unzipped my jacket. “Oh I see. So why are they here?”

“We meet every Monday afternoon when it turns into riding weather.” He said.

I paused thinking about why we had turned around; it wasn’t because he knew I was tired, it was because it was dinner time.

“Don’t worry they won’t bite.” He said with a laugh.

I rolled my eyes, “whatever.”

He mimicked me, “whatever.”

I slapped him on the shoulder, “at least you haven’t lost your sense of humor.”

He smiled at me and wrapped his arm around me, “come on.”



We walked into the place, I spotted the group immediately. I recognized Jay’s dad and mom; she smiled as she saw us. “You know my mom and dad. This is Toby and Blue, Harper, and I think maybe you know Tennessee.”He said with a knowing smirk.

“I’ve met Toby to.” I said quietly as the man who resembled Toby Keith smiled at me.

“This is Beck everyone.” D said cutting in, “Come on guys have a seat.”

We sat down in the empty chairs across from Jay’s parents.
“How are you girl?” Shelly, his mother asked.

“I’m good. How are you?”

“Well as good as I could be I guess! Are you still showing horses?” She asked.

I shook my head, “I’ve been out of the show ring for awhile now.”

“Oh that’s really too bad. You were really good.” She said as the waitress walked up to the table.

“What can I get you two?” She asked cutting in.

We ordered our drinks, and then it was time for Jay’s dad to lay the questions down. He’d always been brassy, he never sugar coated anything. “So I hear you want to be a rider huh?”

I flinched a little; I had forgotten how sharp he could be. Shelly slapped him on the shoulder, “play nice.”

Jay sighed, “She did great riding today.” D briefly smiled at the end of the table. I could feel the group as a whole tense though, unsure of how I’d handle the situation.

I didn’t need them to defend me, “I have every intention of becoming a rider. I’m not going to let anything stop me.”

He leaned back in his chair, “you are still the same girl.”

I sized him up, “No I have more of an attitude now.”

His face went stone solid, for a second I thought I had pissed him off. Then all of the sudden a wave of laughter hit him, “okay Beck!”

Jay relaxed in his chair, D’s fists unclenched at the end of the table, the rest of the guys eased to. It appeared to me that Jay’s dad was the “leader”. I knew the test at the DMV would get me my license, but the real test, as if I was going to be a real rider would come from Jay’s dad.

To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment