Saturday, March 10, 2012

The New Life: Collecting myself


I had wanted to call D. To tell him what had happened, but I knew if I did that he’d hang up the phone, never answer it for me again, and make my bike disappear. I knew better then to call D. There was my Momma, I could always call her. But I figured she wouldn’t understand. Maybe she would, but there wasn’t any sense in waking her up over this. There was my former best friend, but she always managed to stab me in the back, I decide against her. I landed on one of the girl’s from the archery club phone number. She’d be okay to talk to, she’d understand everything. I paused as I dialed it, I need to think about what had just happened, to really try and understand it in my head.

This morning when I woke I knew something awful was going to happen, something bad. I got dressed and stumbled out the door for my run. About the time I had gotten to the clearing that horrible feeling was even heavier. I said a prayer as I ran, one I rely on heavily, “Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespassed against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from Evil, for thine is thy kingdom, thy spirit, and thy glory. Amen”

I went about my daily routine, concentrating on other things, wondering what horrible thing was going to happen today. Then I felt it, a pain that doubled me over. I clutched the kitchen counter as the pain subsided. It didn’t faze me, I have pain on a daily basis thanks to my trick knee, but the pain was a pain I would later learned I shared with someone else.

Bowman, he laid his bike down this afternoon. And while it may not have hurt him to bad physically it him hurt him emotionally, maybe more then he sees. His story is his own; I don’t need to share it. But my heart hurts for him tonight. That soft place is radiating with pain, as it did from the moment I first saw him tonight and realized something was horribly wrong.

I hear that drunken words are sober thoughts. If nothing else was answered tonight I can at least say I got that one last hug. It hurt to know it’d probably not work out as I had hoped. He was not running to me because he needed or wanted me specifically. He’d wanted someone to talk to, and in his state anyone would do, he knew I had promised that piece of my heart to him a long time ago. I don’t know what’s going to happen, and I don’t want to build up hope and risk breaking my own heart this time. All I want is to talk to Sonny… and to break 300 tomorrow!



One thing that’s been with me all night is what Bean’s had told me, “Under the Protection of the Archer what you seek will find you.” I can’t surpass it, it’s stuck on repeat.

Oh and that 14 month rule, it’s out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment