Monday, March 5, 2012

Deadwood Haunting- Part 3


I sucked a breath in hard, with it I realized I was sweating. I pulled the covers off and stumbled into the bathroom. The lights flickered on as I found the switch. I stared at myself in the mirror. I had been crying, my eyes were red, the green standing out brightly.

The water was cool as I washed it over my face. It was quiet in the hotel; the town seemed quiet outside my window. I sighed as I lay back in bed. I was tempted to dial More. To tell him I loved him, I had all along. I wanted to tell him about what I had just seen, where I had just been. But I resisted, something kept me from grabbing my phone.

Instead I turned the T.V. on. I sighed as I pulled the covers around me and thumbed through the channels. I found a rerun of my favorite cartoon, eventually I fell to sleep.



D had the spare key to my room, a decision I dreaded when he came pounding on the door at five in the morning. We’d agreed to go workout together in the gym. He swung the door open when I ignored him. The T.V. was still muted; I was snuggled under the covers. “Get up!” He said as he shook my shoulder.

“Oh God don’t do that.” I moaned as the pain raced through my arm.

“How did you hurt that?” He asked as I sat up.

I sighed, “More.”

He nodded, “oh.”

“Yeah. Did you at least bring me coffee?” I asked as I brushed my hair out of my face.

“This town doesn’t have a Starbucks.” He said as he sat in the chair across from the bed.

I glared at him, “I’m sure someone around here makes coffee.”

“Maybe, but I thought we were going to workout before we went to shoot.” He said with a hopeful smile.

I sighed and leaned my head against the headboard, “Promise if I tell you something you won’t think I’m crazy?”

He laughed, “of course.”

My eyes met his, “Sonny came to me last night. She showed me what could happen in my future, if I choose correctly.”

“Oh.” He said in a weak voice.

“I’m scared I won’t choose correctly.” I mumbled.

“Hum.” He said leaning his arms onto his legs. “Life is too short to live in fear. I don’t think she was trying to make you fearful. What did she say?”

“She said that the one who teaches me how to clean my deer next season is the one that loves me.” I said still staring at him.

“What does that mean?” He asked.

I shrugged, “she wouldn’t say, she said he’d be the one who goes to Alaska with me. When I asked why hunting had to do with anything she said love develops in the oddest places.”

His eyes darted to mine, “a couple of weeks ago she said the same thing to me.” He was whispering now, “Love develops in the oddest places.”

"She showed me how it hurt Handsome when I moved on quickly." I whispered.

He looked at me, "kind of like how it hurts now that Bowman has moved on."

I nodded unable to speak, staring straight down at my hands, tears welling behind my eyes.

D stood up and walked over to me, and then he sat down next to me, "everything is going to be okay." He brushed my hair out of my face and dried the tears that had formed, "I promise you." He wrapped me in his arms.

"I love you D." I whispered.

"I love you to Baby Girl. Through everything I will always love you." He whispered into my ear, "Because nobody knows you like I do. Nobodies been through it all with you. You are always going to be my girl no matter what."

I pulled away from him, "thanks for loving me. I know it's hard."

He smiled, "I'm the closest thing to a father you have, and you are the closest thing to a daughter I have, it's not hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment