Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The New Life: 3 Years Later


I was in the backyard working on the flower bed next to the pond when I heard the bike pull up. D had been called into work, and I had chose to stay for a few extra days, knowing if I didn’t work on the backyard it wouldn’t get any attention. Bella stood at the backyard gate, her nub of a tail wagging. I sighed and stood up. She howled a little as the engine cut off. I walked to the gate, let her out, and followed her around the house to the front yard.
He swung off his bike as I made it around the corner. I recognized him immediately, “Jay! What are you doing here?” Jay had been one of my close friends in high school. He’d been on the ACA-DECA team with me, we’d shot archery together and his little sister had been in the same show barn as me.
His eyes widened and he smiled at me as he remembered me, “D is a friend of mine. He told me to stop by today to look at a bike he’s rebuilt.” He said as he walked around his bike. “How long has it been since I’ve seen you?”
“Graduation probably.” I said as we stood a little less than a foot apart. “You are still as handsome as the day we graduated.”
He laughed, “Beck, are you flirting with me?”
I took a step back, “apparently I am.”
He took a step towards me filling the space I had left, “I didn’t believe D when he told me you were here.”
“So you weren’t here to see the bike then?” I asked.
He smiled, “no. But I hear you ride now.”
I nodded, “well I only have my learners permit.”
“You are still the one that got away.” He said in almost a whisper as he reached up to brush my bangs away.
I caught my breath in my chest, “what?”
“I’ve been in love with you since the fifth grade. Broke my heart when you married that loser.” He said quietly.
“Well I’m divorced now.” I said quietly.
“I’ve heard.” He took another step closer to me. “So are we going to take that ride?”
“Are we still talking about the bikes?” I asked.
Bella whined a little as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into him. My knees went weak as he kissed me. I whispered, “Apparently not” As soon as I could catch a breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment