Thursday, March 15, 2012

From the Saddle: My Dream Side Saddle Mount


I am lucky enough to own the horse of my dreams, which would be Sweet Cheeks. But I can’t help but dream about my perfect side saddle horse.

Of course it would be a gelding. It’s no secret that mares and I don’t normally get along, Luna is the only exception to that rule. He’d be a palomino, palomino paint, or a true black. Preferably a purebred Saddlebred, but a half would be just as fine, maybe even a Tennessee walker.

I love tall men, so it’s no surprise that I love tall horses too, anything around 16 hands would be perfect. I want a horse with a lot of “action”meaning he’s exaggerated in his movements; I want that breath taking Rack and the slow pace. But I want a calm personality, I want a horse that’s going to whinny to me every time he sees me, and calm under saddle. He has to have large kind eyes, and soft delicate ears.

I imagine the wonderful outfits I’d need to sew just to show him. I think about the fancy custom saddle I already have picked out in my mind. I hope that one day this dream becomes a reality, because I’m already so in love with side saddle and I haven’t even taken a lesson!

My first year of lessons were in a Saddlebred barn, I loved so very much when the trainer would let me rack them. I remember at one show, I tagged along to, the announcer hollered rack on and the crowd started whopping and making a fuss. It seemed to me that thoose horses fed off of that excitment. I'm hoping to rekindle that excitment with my very own saddlebred.


Below is a video of a saddlebred 5 gaited class, it shows the different gaits that five gaited saddlebreds are expected to do. Their action packed gaits and exaggerated movements are what make me want one so bad!


No comments:

Post a Comment