Tuesday, March 6, 2012

From the Saddle: Riding Sidesaddle


I will remember, forever, the first time I saw someone ride aside, sidesaddle. She was a beautiful blonde, on an even more beautiful saddlebred. I remember instantly wanting to learn how to ride side saddle. At the time I was deep in the jumper circuit. I traveled every weekend to shows; I even had dreams of competing in the Olympics.

I was 15 then, seven years have passed since then, and now I am finding myself wanting to finally learn how to ride aside. My interest in the jumper ring has begun to wane, I find myself bored in the show ring. I don’t get the rush I used to from hurtling over six foot high jumps, the rush may have been replaced by fear. Sure I could go back to riding hunters or even western pleasure, but I know why I choose to leave those show circuits and I have no intention of going back.

So in a couple of weeks, once the craziness around here settles down, I will be taking my first sidesaddle lesson. I’m really excited and I hope that this becomes a life long passion of mine! I can already hear Sweet Cheeks complaining about having to learn a new discipline. He’ll get over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment