Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Bowhunter's Legacy: Easy on the Arrows


I sunk down into the tall grass once again. It was cold and the weather was threatening moisture, which we desperately need, it didn’t bother me. I closed my eyes and relaxed. I thought about sitting across the counter from Sonny. I could see her smile and her beautiful blue eyes.

“I’m so very proud of you.” She said with a smile.

“He wasn’t there it doesn’t count.” I mumbled.

“Oh but it does, you focused on shooting, you worked the yardages but most of all you smiled the whole time and didn’t once get frustrated.” She said then took a drag of her cigarette.

“I had a blast. For the first time I actually enjoyed shooting the whole time.” I answered.

She smiled, “then that is all that matters.”



Friday night I shot a 220 and came in fourth place. For those of you who haven’t followed my struggles with my bow that doesn’t seem like much of an accomplishment. But believe me it is. A few short weeks ago I had given up all hope of ever figuring out how to control my shooting. I had been tempted to leave my bow in its case and walk away. A break up tore me apart, and his presence at the range made it all worse. This 220 is a result of me pulling my head out of my ass and reminding myself who I was before all of this. It took a little bit of faith to know that I was a talent shooter who could do what ever she wanted, if she could put her mind to it.

I enjoyed shooting with my buddies. I hadn’t seen most of them since the end of last years 3D season. It was remarked that I was a whole new shooter; I was more confident, but still as charming and beautiful.

Saturday morning the overall group of shooters was a little smaller. I shot 224 and third place in the women’s division. I did however break two arrows that day, results of two wall shots. In the whole weekend I had six wall shots. Out of 80 shots, I consider six to be improvement, since last year about half were wall shots. Saturday I shot exclusively with Big Rick and Ty. I can’t catch a break with either one of them, not only do they push me to become a better archer they push me to be a better person. They are genuine friends and I can’t wait till next month’s shoot!




I opened my eyes as I began to get cold, I looked up into the hazy sky. I found the archer constellation and thought about what Beans had told me. “What you seek will find you.” I realized that all I had ever looked for was happiness. I thought that required a man, time exclusively with someone. “Man I was wrong.” I whispered.

No comments:

Post a Comment