Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The New Life: The 3rd Time isn't a Charm


There wasn’t much I could do but sit down and cry. I barley made it to the blue chairs on the lawn before the tears had developed. I tucked my legs onto the seat of the chair and leaned into my knees to cry. My left one radiated with pain. It had finally begun to feel better, until shooting and riding this weekend.

I cried until my eyes hurt.
Eventually the tears stopped, I went inside and called my mother and told her, and then I poured myself a shot of whiskey. I drank it then thought about what Bowman had done when I had told him, what I had seen in his eyes. I picked the bottle of whiskey up off of the counter and walked outside, back to my chair.

I knew what Sonny would have told me, “Eventually you’ll be a mother. Eventually, when the time is right and you are on better ground.” Then she would have hugged me and took a swig of the whiskey.

No comments:

Post a Comment