Sunday, November 6, 2011

The New Life: The Sportster


I sunk down onto the couch. Bella jumped up next to me, put her front paws on my leg and laid her silver head on the back of the couch. “If she bothers you just tell her to get down. Want a beer or something?” He asked as he walked into the kitchen.
“Just a coke.” I called after him.
“I’ve got some whiskey.” He said.
I snorted, “Yeah my whiskey.”
“Oh no that’s long gone, pretty good stuff.” He said as he came back into the living room.
I glared at him.
“I’m kidding.”
“Just a coke please.”
“Tequila still kicking you?” He asked as he disappeared again.
“Yes.” I moaned. Bella grunted, upset I was ignoring her. “Lay down.” I crooned. She sighed then curled up on the corner cushion of the couch.

D came back into the room and her ears perked. He handed me the Coke and then sat down in the lazy boy across from me. “How’s the knee?” He said as he popped the top of his Coke.
I shook my head, “Still attached.”
He smiled, “Still having the surgery?”
“Yeah, in January. I may change surgeons since I’ll be here.” I said with a sigh already dreading it.
“Well maybe if you change surgeons you can get in sooner.”  He said.
I stared at the cold coke in my hand. “Maybe.”
“What’s wrong?” He asked.
I fought the tears back. “Nothing.”
He sighed, “Liar.”
“It’s just the tequila hangover.” I said in a whisper. Bella squirmed so that her head could touch my knee.
“Becks.” He whispered.
“You don’t understand. It doesn’t matter I still love him.” I said as the tears started again. “It’s been a few days since I cried and I just had to go and text him last night.”

He leaned back in his chair. “You know my opinion about this.”
I sighed, “I know, but that doesn’t stop my heart. It doesn’t heal the pain.”
He closed his eyes, “I hate this.”
“What?” I asked.
“You in pain. If he honestly loved you he’d realize you’re in pain and that you still love him and want to fix things. Beck don’t fool yourself, I think he’s over it.”
I shook my head, “I don’t know. He won’t say.”
“Either way you need to be over this too.” He said in almost a whisper.
I closed my eyes, “No matter what I say or do I can’t recover.”

We sat in silence for awhile. I eventually opened my Coke and recovered from the tears. I rubbed Bella’s foot as she stretched out.
“She’s a pest sometimes.” He said.
“I don’t mind. Have you met my two?”
He laughed. “Yeah.”

“So I know that new bike is around here somewhere. I have to assume that’s why you brought me here.” I said as I sat my Coke down on the coffee table.
He smiled, “You think so huh.”
“You called me Friday and told me that the bike was mine. Don’t play with me.”
He laughed, “Fine. Come on.” He stood up. Bella leapt to her feet and trotted beside him starring up at him. I stood up and followed them.

We trekked through the gourmet kitchen, designed by his mother, through the laundry room into the garage. He closed the door behind me. I admired the Dodge and Harley memorabilia around the garage as the florescent lights flickered on.
“It’s over here.” He said motioning.

I followed him around the Jeep he’d been “rebuilding” for two years now over to where the motorcycle collection sat. I laid my hand on the gleaming Husker red Road King, “When did you get the Pan Head?” I asked as I stared at the bike in pieces on the floor.
He chuckled, “Well that ones a long story. I got it a couple weeks ago, I was supposed to rebuild it but the guy’s wife told him to sell it. So since I was already rebuilding it I just bought it, figured I’d find someone to buy it once it’s done.”
“You and your rebuilding projects.” I said motioning over to the Jeep.
“Hey now.”
“What. Honestly two years to rebuild a Jeep?” I said with a laugh.
He rolled his eyes.

“So a couple of weeks ago you told me you bought a new bike, is this it?” I said as I moved over to the black bike next to the Road King.
“Yeah.” He said. “I traded the Road Glide in for it.”
I nodded, “I was just going to ask you where it was. So what is this bike?” I asked.
“A Harley.”
“No shit Sherlock.” I mumbled.
“It’s a Fat Boy.”
“I haven’t seen one in person.” I mumbled as I admired the bike.
“It’s okay. I’m pretty impressed you recognize a Road King and a Pan Head.” He said as he crossed his arms over his chest.
“Well Bowman did teach me a thing, maybe two.” I said with a smirk.
“Oh geeze.” He said rolling his eyes. “This one over here,” he paused, “is the one we bought.”
I smiled, “We.”
“Well kinda. I figured I’d make the first few payments on it. Kind of a bribe for coming home.” He said with a smile as he took the cover off.

The gleaming blue Sportster I had been pining over said hello. I caught my breath in my chest.  I’d spent an outrageous amount of money on it, but I was happy, I had a bike of my own.
“Promise your going to ride it.” He said.
“I promise.”
“Good, then you may need this.” He walked over to his tool box and dug through the top drawer. He walked back to me with an envelope in hand. “Classes. I’m a good teacher but you’re going to need some professional help. Besides when you are done you’ll have your license and be in Sturgis with the boys.”

I smiled, “D you are the best.”
“I want one more promise.” He said as he handed me the envelope.
“What’s that?” I asked.
“No more tears.”
I met his eyes and paused, “It’ll be hard.”
“That’s what this bike is for, a distraction.”
I laughed, “I’ll try my hardest.”
He nodded in agreement. “Give him some time.”

“Kay.” I said as I starred at the Sportster, the new love of my life.
I took this picture the very first time I met this bike.
 It's been on my mind since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment