Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Bowhunter's Legacy: AAC Results


This weekend my club hosted its March 3d shoot. I had originally planned to shoot with the Big D. I knew Ty was going to be shooting with his girls and wife; I knew Big Rick wasn’t going make it, so I had asked D to come shoot with me, just because. Well apparently D forgot, when I called Friday afternoon he admitted to forgetting, he’d signed up for over time at work and couldn’t make it. “Just fucking great!” was all I could say.

Friday I had the feeling something bad was going to happen. I imagined my bow was going to explode in my hands; maybe More’s crazy ex wife would get a hold of me, or something worse. It turned out to be something worse; Bowman had been in an accident.

It’s no secret I still care for him, it’s something that will never go away, I’ll always care. Even though I was slightly distracted I still pulled a 224 out of my ass. How I’m not sure, I wasn’t even focused on shooting. I hardly remember the second half of the shoot, I was to busy worrying.

Things worked out though, and on Saturday morning Bowman was my shooting buddy. It was a small overall group, very relaxed, leaving Bowman and I in a group by ourselves. We shot quickly and efficiently. He shot as well as ever. Me on the other hand, my shots were low or left or right. I can’t explain it; it’s in my arm somewhere.

In the end I shot a 260, the highest score I’ve ever shot in a 3d. I’m please with it, even though it’s a little ways off from 300. Next weekend is the Scottsbluff shoot. D promised me he’d be here for it no matter what. I’d bet you my best horse he forgets again…

No comments:

Post a Comment