Friday, March 23, 2012

The New Life: Observations



I stood with my rifle on my shoulder admiring the spring sky. I thought about how a little under a year ago I’d stood here with Handsome, learning how to shoot clays. I remembered the afternoons we had spent shooting. The thought of the afternoon with Bowman and shooting with him crossed my mind. I looked over at More who was throwing for me. I sighed.

“It’s doomed.” I whispered.

His back was turned to me as he laid his rifle down on the tailgate of the pickup. I could have easily confused him with Bowman, if this had been a dream. He turned and met my eyes, “you okay?’

I nodded, “yeah.”

“Okay, you ready to shoot.”

With a sigh I nodded.

I settled my rifle into my shoulder and told him to pull. The bright orange clay flew across the sky, to the left. Clays to the left are the hardest for me to shoot. I settled on it and touched the trigger. The sound of the rifle filled the air, little chunks of orange clay floated to the ground. It was the first and best shot I had taken for the day. My mind focused on shooting, on breaking those orange clays, it was relaxing.



We’d finished shooting and were sitting on the tailgate of the truck. He wrapped his arm around me as I laid my head on his shoulder. I silently prayed for a better outcome then what had happened with my previous shooting buddies. “What are you thinking about?” he asked.

I sighed, “How every time I bring someone out to shoot with me the relationship doesn’t end well.”

He laughed, “You are very superstitious aren’t you.”

I shook me head, “it’s just a simple observation.” I straightened up and dug a beer out of the cooler, “just like Handsome and Bowman both drive white trucks.” I twisted the top off of the beer bottle, “I’ve not been on a date with anyone, since my divorce, whom didn’t drive a white vehicle.” I paused, “well except for you.”

He laughed.

“No I’m serious.” I took a drink. “But what is worse, back in January I was kind of seeing a guy who drove a white Dodge, rode a blue Harley, and shared names with Bowman.”

He sobered a little, “that’s creepy.”

“I didn’t seek him out, It just happened that way. As a matter of fact I didn’t know he drove a white Dodge until our first date and I had no clue he rode Harley’s until after our first five dates.”

“What happened?” He asked.

“I couldn’t handle it. I couldn’t ride in his pickup. But the Harley was the worst, He took me out on it once, it made me cry for days. I also couldn’t stand shooting with him, and when I kissed him I wanted it to be Bowman.” I said in a voice close to a whisper.

“Why am I different?” He asked.

I sighed and stared out at the meadow in front of us, “I met you before I was in love with Bowman.” I turned my head and smiled at him, laying my hand on his knee. “We have a friendship that’s lasted over a year. You’ve been a really good friend and I want to build a relationship with you because of it, because every time I talk to you and see you I feel love.”

He smiled and kissed me on the forehead, “remember we are both leaving the past behind.”

I smiled, “I’m sorry. It’s just the last time I shot was with him.”

“I know Babe. I know.”

“Forgive me?” I asked.

He tilted his head and smiled, “maybe, but first you have to make it up to me.”

“How?” I asked with a smile.

He laughed, “Surprise me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment