Thursday, April 26, 2012

The New Life: Figuring Sonny Out


I stared at the bottle of Jameson in front of me. I felt no desire to drink it; I didn’t feel a want or need. So I left it on the table and laid my head on my arms resting on the table. I stared at the label studying it. Melancholy, that’s what I decided I was feeling.

Sonny sat down at the end of the table. She was quiet, and I realized I was dreaming. She pushed the bottle out of my line of sight but I continued to stare straight ahead.

“Where have you been?” I asked.

“You didn’t need me. I was just watching.” She said as she lit a cigarette. I sat up and looked around realizing we were now in her shop.

“Hmm.” I sighed.

“You and your hmms.” She said as she flicked the ashes off.

I stared at her without talking.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

I shrugged then shoved my hands in my pockets, “wish I knew.”

She sighed and then took another drag of her cigarette, staring at me out of the corner of her eyes, “you miss him don’t you.” She finally said.

I closed my eyes, “yeah.”

“Thought so.”

I opened my eyes and we were sitting out in the clearing. “You probably shouldn’t smoke here. It’s real dry.” I said.

She laughed, “a real Sherlock we have here. Just shut up.”

I groaned and realized we weren’t directly in the clearing; we were standing back closer to the pond.

“I tried to show you this the other day but holy cow you can be thick headed.” She said. Bowman appeared first and then me, my bow lying in the grass closest to the tree. We were passing the bionocs back and forth, whispering quietly.

Sonny whispered something I couldn’t understand. The past me turned her head and looked around, Bowman looked over to her and the memory paused. “Right here. What’s this?” She asked.

I shrugged, “I don’t know.”

She smiled, “think about it.”

I stared trying to see what she wanted me to see. She disappeared and left me with the past memory in my dream. When I woke up it was dawn. I got out of bed and went for a walk, still trying to figure out what she wanted me to see, happy that I hadn’t completely lost ALL of my marbles, just some…

No comments:

Post a Comment