Friday, May 18, 2012

The New Life: To Perfect


The sound of the bike was unfamiliar as I lay in bed listening to it getting closer. I knew they could have been headed for a neighbor, but I doubted it, most bikes that turn onto D’s street are headed to his house. I sat up in bed and sighed, it was after nine, D had been up for about two hours, I figured he was getting anxious for me to get out of bed so we could do what we needed to for the day before he flew me home.

I stood up as the bike turned into the driveway. I didn’t recognize the rider until he stepped off the bike and took his helmet off, it was Charming. My heart leapt into my chest, “so much for a phone call.” I mumbled to Bella as I stumbled to get dressed.

“Hey Beck!” D hollered up the stairs.

“Yeah I’m coming.” I hollered back as I pulled my leathers on. It felt odd sliding them over the healing bruises and I wondered if I knew for sure what I was doing.



“I thought you were going to call.” I said as I walked down the stairs.

“I figured a bike ride would be better.” He said with a smile.

D stood next to him, “You wanna go?” he asked.

“Well I’m all dressed up.” I said with a laugh.

They both nodded, “well I’ll just let you two go. I need to go to the lumber yard.” D said staring at me. “Call me if you need me.”


I swung my leg over the back of the Victory and relaxed. “You don’t own a Harley, what the hell is wrong with you?”

He laughed, “I do own a Harley. I just like this bike best, don’t tell my boss that!”

I laughed and rested my hands on his side. I was comfortable and felt as if it was where I needed to be.

The bike rumbled to life and we were off. It felt perfect to be on the bike, my heart didn’t hurt, it was happy like it used to be. The Blue King used to help relax my knee, it took the cramps and pain out of it, the Victory did the same.

We stopped at the stop light and waited for it to turn, he turned his head and said to me, “Beck I want you to be mine.”

My heart fluttered in my chest as he said it, “That sounds good to me.”

He smiled, “good deal.”

A few miles down the road he reached back and ran his hand on my knee, the same way Bowman used to. I wondered if someone had told him or if it was just something he did. It was then I realized Sonny had to be meddling…

No comments:

Post a Comment