Monday, May 28, 2012

The New Life: Big Roy's Final Words


I was so very lucky to see Big Roy a few days before he got sick, our conversation was so up lifting and happy, it’s hard to believe looking back that it’s only been a few short weeks. Big Roy was always there for me, even though I never leaned on him for emotional support I know he was always there and that he always cared.

We joked about a conversation he and I had at the grocery store back in March. Then suddenly it got serious and it began to feel as if there was something final about the conversation.

He reached across the table and grabbed my hand and suddenly said, “For you Baby Girl, the world is just beginning.”

I was shocked, to go from telling jokes to being serious, “what are you talking about?”

He simply smiled and repeated a little stronger, “for you the world is just beginning.” His smile faded and he said, “Don’t ever let anyone step on your dreams. Don’t let anything break you. Don’t stop until you are holding the stars in your hands. Promise?”

I nodded, still a little off kilter from the sudden change in subject.

He smiled at me again, “okay then.”

I sat staring at him for a moment, still trying to wrap my head around the sensation of finality. “I want you to know that I love as if you were my family.” He said quietly.

I smiled back, “I love you to Roy.”

He nodded and stood up and disappeared into the crowd. I watched him go and felt my heartbreak a little in my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment