Monday, May 14, 2012

The New Life: Managing Pain


Yesterday was the first time, since the accident I felt pain. It actually started Saturday afternoon, after eight texts and one whole second my heart hit the floor and shattered on the ground. I mustered the strength to get through the day, but keeping in my emotional pain turned it into physical pain.



My healing bruises throbbed with pain, my tender neck and back were no longer just tender they were painful, so painful it hurt to have my cotton t-shirt touching them. My legs, knee, ankle and feet screamed with pain, so bad I thought I was going to pass out. It wasn’t a lack of pain meds, I’d taken my dosage, even a little extra, and it still hurt.



After the grueling day a good friend of mine called me and said lets go get some pizza, maybe a beer to and a movie. As soon as I heard his voice the pain was gone. Knowing that everything I had suffered through was only temporary and that in the end I still have people who care in my life made the pain subside.



In the end yes I did lose my best friend, a love that I’ll never feel again, and maybe the ability to give my heart to someone else.



But in the end, I didn’t lose everything, because eventually there will be another best friend and there will be another one to love. In the end I’ll be happy because it’s the only choice I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment