Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The New Life: The Snapshot


D had “Redecorated” my room at his house. He’d filled it with parts off of vintage bikes; the lamp by my bed was now made out of a Road King Headlamp. Instead of a deer mount he’d mounted the handlebars off of a Sportster on the wall.

The pictures we’d had taken with our bikes hung neatly around the room, a big vinyl Harley logo hung over the bed. Next to the mirror was a small collection of snap shots, most taken by my Momma, a picture of me and Steph with our bikes, D and I on his Road King, a picture from my first ride on the Sportster, me in my helmet with a pink Mohawk, me leaning down on my bike hugging it, and a few other random ones. The biggest was a picture Momma had taken back in Hometown. Bowman and I on the back of the Blue King, smiling, well me smiling and him pulling the tough guy look. I traced my fingers over the photo and laughed a little, in that second I missed him.

“Well” D said as he stood in the doorway of the room.

I rolled my eyes and tried to keep the tears behind them, “It’s unique.”

He smiled, “do you like it?”

I nodded, “thank you.”

He gave me a hug, “come-on let’s go get some food.”



I stopped at the doorway and stared back at the picture. I still wondered what Sonny was trying to show me in the clearing. I wondered why D had put that specific photo in my room, why it was larger then the other snapshots. But in that moment in time what I wondered most was if he was missing me at all. I flicked the light off and walked down to the garage…

No comments:

Post a Comment