Thursday, May 17, 2012

The New Life: Rebuilding


“So every biker has a reason why they started. Mine was because I grew up with them; spent the weekends at the motocross track, getting a bike to ride around was obvious.” Charming said as he smiled at me over dinner.

I shrugged, “Everyone asks me that question.”

He chuckled a little, “well honestly not a whole lot of women ride their own bikes.”

I nodded as I stared at him, “Honestly.” I paused thinking about how to word what I wanted to say, “Before the wreck I was attempting to keep hold of a piece of my past relationship.”

He nodded, seeming to understand without judgment. “So why not just give it up now?”

I sighed, “I wanted to. But I don’t want to stop because of fear.”

“Hmm.” He said than took a drink of his beer, “Well that’s a good reason to keep riding.”

“Have you ever been in an accident?” I asked.

He smiled and then rolled up his sleeve, “I’ve been in a couple.” He showed me his arm and the scars across it, “These are mostly from motocross, but last summer I laid my bike down on my way to Sturgis.”

I nodded, “How come you kept riding?”

He smiled again, “same reason you did. Fear isn’t a reason to stop.” We sat quietly for a little while, “I was surprised when you came in with D today. I didn’t think he knew any girls, let alone one as sweet and pretty as you.”

“Laying it on kinda thick aren’t we?” I asked sarcastically, but flattered.

He laughed, “Hey I have to make sure there will be another date.”

I smiled and picked up my water glass, “I’ll just have to wreck the bike again if there isn’t.”

He smiled, “It’d be a lot less painful to just answer the phone when I call you tomorrow morning.”

“Would it now?” I asked, knowing that maybe it wouldn’t be…

No comments:

Post a Comment