Monday, April 4, 2011

Lost and Found

I went through my tack trunk this morning. I hadn't been in it for probably two years. I keep my show equipment in it. I rummaged around looking and inspecting each piece, making sure it was all okay for this years season.
I sat in the newly green grass and enjoyed the smell of leather and horse sweat. A cool breeze blew through my fleece coat, but it didn't bother me, the sun warmed my back. I smiled as I remembered all the memories I had made. I thought of all the twists and turns I had been on through all of this.
When I got to the bottom of the tack trunk I found a lone ribbon pressed firmly against the plastic box, a photograph attached to it. DW stood next to me beaming ear to ear. My horse was mid yawn as I cringed in the saddle.
I fought back tears as I thought of the day. It was they day I knew he really did love me as his own. I had been thrown from my saddle in the middle of the show. My back ached hard as I remounted and finshed the class. I of course didn't win, I placed five out of five. But DW was proud of me none the less. I remember what he said to me, "That's what real cowgirls do. They get back up and finish. I'm proud of you baby girl."

I tucked the picture and ribbon into my coat pocket and crammed the tack back into the trunk. I stood up shoved it into the tack room and walked back to the house. I paused mid way as it suddenly struck me, it was his birthday.
I pulled the picture from my pocket one last time. I smiled again as I thought about the day. I looked up at the sky. "I miss you too." I whispered. The breeze softened a little. I smiled again and lingered a little longer.
Becki

No comments:

Post a Comment