Monday, April 18, 2011

The Jump

Yesterday was a beautiful day, it actually felt like spring! A feeling I have been longing desperately for. The beautiful day enabled me to get a little riding done. With the help of Jase I set up a small course with low jumps. I warmed Sweet Cheeks up and focused myself. All my rambling worries and thoughts drowned in concentration.
I moved the gray into a canter and focused harder on what I wanted to do. I counted rhythmically in my head, one, two, three. Up. I stood in my stirrups as the gray jumped over the bars. Happiness, relief, and joy flooded my body. I had to stop the gray to hug him. I wrapped my arms around his thick neck and breathed horse.
He chomped hard on the bit, wondering why we had stopped mid course. Wrapped tightly in joy I was unaware I had alarmed Jase. He touched my leg, "are you okay." I sat up in my stirrups. "Uh huh. I'm just over whelmed with joy."
Jase looked at me funny. I paused, "It's a feeling I can't explain." I looked out across the meadow and watched the meadow larks play in the grass. "It's a feeling that everything is right in the world."
He smiled, "I understand. I've watched you struggle and I am happy you are finally happy."
"Thank you." I whispered. He smiled and walked back to where he had been sitting. I watched the birds a little bit longer and melded once again with my horse.

I plan to get back on the jumper circuit this summer. I have the perfect opportunity and I no longer feel depressed about riding. I've made some new friends here who all ride. I've made connections with people on the jumper circuit out here. I'm going to go for it and not let me inhibitions hold me back. I've got talent, or so I've been told, and it'll be a shame to let it all go to waste.
I'd forgotten how much I really enjoy jumping...
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment