Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Trotting Away

Boo boo let out a squeal as I asked him for a lope. Three quick bucks and he settled into himself. He foamed out of the mouth and moved forward easily. His ears twitched listening for whinnies from the herd behind us. He pushed hard against the bit, I stood in my stirrups and let him surge into a gallop. Snow flying underneath his feet.

The cold wind whipped the tears from my eyes and back across my cheeks. I snuffed as I tried to stop crying. Freedom never felt so good. Boo boo slowed back into a canter. He was more relaxed and wasn't listing behind him anymore. We loped a little farther then slowed into an extended trot.

I took a deep breath as we hit the edge of the lake, I stopped him to enjoy the view. The cold wind stung my lungs. My head was clear, I was in the moment not worried about anything else.  I watched the deer across the lake, playing enjoying the afternoon sun. Boo boo watched them too, alert and keen to their every movement. Tears still flowed from my eyes, I cried for 15 minutes, then I let everything go. I dropped my baggage right there by the lake, and trotted away from it.

Today was a beautiful day. Today I left everything behind and moved forward into my new life. Today Boo boo and I finally bonded. Today I learned to trust him. Today I made it all alright in my heart.

The sun shine tomorrow will be beautiful. The air will be fresher. My eyes will see the world clearly. I'll move forward without hesitation. My new life is here, it's been here, but now I've embraced it. I can't change the past, but I can improve the future.


April 2010

Missy. B

1 comment: