Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Missing an Archer

I stepped up to the line, knocked my arrow, and clipped my release on. I took a heavy breath then drew back. My heart sunk heavily into my chest. I settled into the shot, aimed, and released the string. The arrow hit the target hard, the muffled smack echoed throughout the range.
I knocked my second arrow. My heart broke heavily in my chest. Tears welled as I clipped the release on, I drew back and settled into the shot. I aimed, took a heavy breath and then released the string. MC looked across the line at me. Our cheerful banter had stopped suddenly as the pain hit me. "What's wrong Doll?"
I fought harder to keep the tears in my chest as I knocked my third arrow. "I'm just missing Sonny today." He nodded as I clipped on my release and drew back. I settled into the shot, trying to blink away the fuzzy tears. I released the arrow then turned from the line and walked away without looking where the arrow had hit. The other archer's eyes following me. I settled my bow onto the bow stand and walked across the room and disappeared into the forest of the 3D range.

I sunk into a chair at the forty yard line. I could hear the guys whispering, but I ignored them. Tears dripped down my face and onto my knees as I leaned forward and buried my face in my hands. I sobbed hard as heartache radiated throughout my body.
Thirty minutes later the guys were half way through league. I returned to the target range and stood by the bow stand. "You okay now?" MC asked as he laid his bow down on the stand. I nodded as I starred straight on.
He turned to see what I was starring at. A perfect group of three directly in the center of the target. "Did you move those?" I asked.
He shook his head. We stood silent for a moment, then he laid his hand on my arm where the arm guard she gave me was braced and whispered, "She never left you."
I stood quietly admiring the group, it was my first perfect shot, relief flooded my body. It was like a warm embrace, the feeling that she was and is still with me, no matter how hard it gets, she'll always be here.
Missy.B

No comments:

Post a Comment