Thursday, June 14, 2012

The New Life: What a Healthy Heart can do

My Momma once told me that a healthy heart can heal a broken one. I'm not sure my heart is all that healthy, but it'll have to do.....


He was sitting in the blue Adirondack chair starting out across the meadow. I paused at the door and looked down the driveway, I recognized the pickup instantly. My heart leapt into my chest as my hand hit the cold door knob.

More didn’t flinch or turn his head as I closed the door behind me, he simply sat and stared. I walked past him down to the chicken coop, ignoring him, not entirely sure of why he was on my lawn before six in the morning, why he was just sitting there. I watched him out of the corner of my eye as I cleaned the coop and fed the birds.

It took me about fifteen minutes; he sat the entire time staring straight ahead. I wondered in the back of my head if he was okay. As I washed my hands with the garden hose and let the birds out to free range I stared at him, eventually his eyes caught mine. I shook my head and walked back to the lawn.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

He shrugged, “waiting for you.”

I sighed and sat down in the chair next to his, “Why?”

“Why not?” He said softly.

I ran my hands through my hair and leaned back, “what do you want?”

He shrugged again, “I think I made a mistake.”

I sighed and closed my eyes, I thought I knew what was coming next, and I wondered if I really wanted to go back. “What was that?”

“I should have stayed with you. She didn’t change at all.” He said softly.

“Oh More.” I whispered as I looked over at him. I knew then he wasn’t asking for a relationship, he was asking for someone to care, for someone to put him first. I laid my hand on his arm, “God doesn’t take you through something you can’t get through.” I said softly. It was the same thing he had told me after the breakup….

No comments:

Post a Comment