Monday, June 11, 2012

A Bowhunter's Legacy: The Wildcat Hills Shoot


“I didn’t whine in the truck so I could whine all afternoon long.” I said with a smartass tone.

Farmer sighed, “I knew I should have just left you home!”

I rolled my eyes, “you know you’d miss me if you did that.”

He laughed, “that’s probably true, come on lil’ Sister let’s go shoot.”



The first half of the wildcat Hills shoot was grueling. It was a long hike up and down the sides of the canyon, the shots were amazing though, slopes up and down and yardages we don’t get to shoot at home. Halfway through the shoot I tripped and shoved a tree branch into my bad knee. There were some bad words mumbled then, and the rest of the shoot tore me up, but I pushed through it.

I chose to split the shoot into two days, the first half on Saturday and the second on Sunday. Which meant Farmer would only be able to shoo the first day with me. He ruptured something in his knee a few weeks ago and is still recovering from it, a two day hike was out of the question.

After day one and round one I had a 180 under my belt. I was happy with the first half and figured if I could shoot something similar the next day I was golden. After day two and the second half my total score was 340. Do you know what that means? I’ve FINALLY made my goal of 300 in competition!!! Cheers to me!





“Way to go lil’ Sister! You’ve improved!” Farmer said in the pickup on the way home.

I smiled, “thanks.”

“You are going to be at nationals before you know it!” He said as we turned onto the highway and left the shoot.

“I hope so.” I sat and reflected about how far I’ve come from this time last year. I’m happy with my improvement as a shooter and as a person as a whole.



Next goal, R100 shoot keep the 300 score!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment