Friday, June 1, 2012

American Biker... The Truth


They say don’t bite the hand that feeds you… But that hand no longer feeds me soooo….. CHOMP!







I stared at the TV blankly, not sure how to process the show I had just watched. I swirled my whiskey in my highball for a second and thought. I had my own experience with a club and it hadn’t been as wild. It had been wild, but compared to what I had just seen, it was like preschool.




I blinked still attempting to process.




D laughed, clicked the TV off and left the room. I still sat there swirling my whiskey and thinking. My heart wasn’t aching I was just thinking about the misrepresentations the show had just offered. I sighed, swigged my whiskey and stood up, “how to define a biker.” I mumbled.

I knew all to well that some people would see that show and instantly judge someone with a patch on their back. Which was fine by me, I’m no longer associated with a club. But what did was the image the show and that club are creating for the others who ride. People like me and Blue and D and even Charming. The image that we are all a bunch of uncivilized, butt scratching, drunk on our ass, drug using, hicks.



I’m not going to get on my pedestal here and preach about how not all clubs are a like. Not my place and I don’t really care. Nor am I going to ride my high horse and say I’m better then what and who started me, because I’m not. Our blood all runs the same and my beginnings start with a man associated to a club... But I do wish people would understand there is a difference. And just because you see a shiny bike and a leather jacket doesn’t mean we are all bad ass assholes… 

The show doesn’t show people who ride for genuine reasons. People like the guys who stood in the ICU hallway waiting for me to come back to life. People who stopped while D and I waited for the ambulance. People who roll an extra bike out of the garage just to rebuild what was lost in a wreck. People who call you up in the middle of the day just to say “hi”. The people who take time out of their lives to make yours better. Or even people who you’ve just met that take their time to teach you how to ride safely.



It doesn’t show what a true, blue blooded, honest American Biker is.



It’s a shame we are all going to be judge because of these shows. It’s a shame, a real shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment