Monday, August 1, 2011

From the Saddle: Back in the Ring


Yesterday was the first time I've been in the show ring in two years. I've been nervous about the show for a couple of weeks now. I was unsure of how my assistant would take to showing, unsure of how the horse trailer would pull, but mostly unsure of the behaviour of the horses.
First off I had a problem rounding up a truck. The day before the show my orginal plans for a pickup fell through. Luckily I had a friend step up and offer his truck. It worked out well and everything went off without a problem. I just want to thank him one more time. The horses loaded well for the most part and the drive to the show grounds was relativly painless. I haven't driven the trailer in around two years, I'll admit it made me a little nervous to be back in the driver's seat.
As we drew closer to the show grounds I asked my assistant to join me in the show day prayers. It's a tradition that started the day of my very first show, I hope it's a tradition she will continue. Before each show I say two prayers, the first being the Lord's Prayer and the second being a version of the Cowboy's Prayer,

OUR GRACIOUS AND HEAVENLY FATHER.
WE PAUSE IN THE MIDST OF THIS FESTIVE OCCASION, MINDFUL AND THOUGHTFUL OF THE GUIDANCE THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN US. WE WOULD ASK, TODAY LORD, THAT YOU BE WITH US IN THIS ARENA AS WE PRAY YOU WILL BE ALSO WITH US IN LIFE'S ARENA. AS RIDERS, LORD, WE DON'T ASK FOR ANY SPECIAL FAVORS IN THIS ARENA TODAY. WE ONLY ASK THAT YOU WILL LET US COMPETE IN THIS EVENT, AND IN LIFE, AS YOU DID FOR US. WE ASK THAT YOU GIVE US THE GUIDENCE TO COMPETE HONESTLY, TO BE WITH OUR COMPETITORS, AND TO GIVE US THE GRACE TO WIN WITHOUT THE SATISFACTION OF BEATING OUR COMPETITON.

HELP US TO COMPETE IN LIFE AS HONEST AS THE HORSES WE RIDE; IN A MANNER AS CLEAN AND PURE AS THE WIND THAT BLOWS ACROSS THIS COUNTRY; SO WHEN WE MAKE THAT LAST RIDE, THAT WE KNOW IS INEVITABLE, TO THE COUNTRY UP THERE.. WHERE THE GRASS IS GREEN AND LUSH AND STIRRUP-HIGH AND THE WATER RUNS CLEAN AND CLEAR; YOU WILL TELL US, AS OUR LAST JUDGE, THAT OUR ENTRY FEE'S ARE PAID.
WE ASK THESE THINGS IN CHRIST'S NAME. AMEN

We got to the show grounds, unloaded the horses, and discovered Sweet Cheeks had opened up an old cut on his foot. I had cleaned out the trailer and left the vet kit at home, it never fails. Jace went and got me a bottle of Allum to clot the cut and I still rode in my class. Sweet Cheeks was off though and so was I. Out of two classes of four I placed third and my assistant place fourth. She did well for her first show. I was pleased with her as I watched her in the ring. Of course there are a lot of things she and I both need to work on before the fall shows, but we've got time and she is a quick learner.

We were blessed with very few problems. It's probably the least stressful show I've ever been to. I'm glad everything worked out. So now we get ready for the jumper shows that are starting up. It's going to be a lot of training, but we can manage it.
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment