Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The New Life: Anxious for Fall


When I was younger I dreaded the fall. It meant going back to school and that the winter was right around the corner. It meant that the freedom of summer was quickly revoked. I loved the scorching hot days of summer. I loved swimming in the lake and loping the horses through the summer grasses. I loved the thunderstorms and the rain. I loved the simple beauty of the sandhills in the summer. Don’t get me wrong I still love all those things, but I’m beginning to think my judgment of the fall when I was younger was unfair.
I’m anxiously awaiting the fall this year. It brings my birthday, all the archery hunting season, and orange leaves on the trees. Fall means cooler days in the round pen, fly free afternoons on the horse, but it also means that the A circuit shows are in full swing.
Of course I won’t be on the show circuit this fall. Sweet Cheeks is lame, for how long I don’t know. I find it unfair to make him work hard while he’s in pain, so the show season will wait, maybe indefinitely.

I’ve choose to focus my attention on hunting. But not just hunting, bow hunting. The trip to Alaska has been delayed, but that just means I have more time to hunt here at home. Deer season and turkey season are quickly approaching. I find myself itching to don the camo, wake up at the ass crack of dawn, and sit in the cool frost waiting for my big buck and tom turkey to walk into range. It’ll have to wait a couple more weeks; September 15th is the official day of opening for archery deer and turkey season. I’m so enthusiastic about it I’m thinking about taking the day off!
This fall is also going to bring another anniversary for me. The anniversary of the day I decided I wanted change, big change. I'm excited to see where I am by November 16th. I bet you I’ll be right where I hoped I’d be. We will just have to hold out hope and see where it goes. November 16th, that’s the day, the big day. I’m anxious…

No comments:

Post a Comment