Friday, February 11, 2011

The Check List

Last night was five spot night. I dread five spot nights because I can’t shoot it as well. But I must say I’m pretty happy with myself, 300/500. That’s the highest score I’ve shot on a five spot night.
Last night, I confided in Farmer that I was starting to get frustrated and lose my confidence. I was really starting to feel like a rookie. So as we get ready to shoot he wanders his way over to me and whispers, “I’ll help you tonight as much as I can. I don’t want to see you frustrated.”
My first end was my worst, the next round Farmer helped. He coached me through the whole end. When he saw something wrong he helped me fix it. He taught me the proper way to use my peep sight and showed me what a difference it really makes.
Farmer also bolstered my confidence. I shot a 10,10,10,8,10. “Beck I’m so proud of you! That was an amazing end!” And sure enough his words of encouragement carried me through the night with more amazing ends.

I’m really happy with the improvement. I want to keep hold of it as long as I can. I’ll be shooting four times next week, two practices and two tournament shoots. I’ve got a “check list” in my head for every time I get anchored and think I’m ready to release the trigger. Farmer helped me set it up. It helps keep out wandering and rapid thoughts. It worked wonders last night, I’m hoping it keeps working for me.

Before I sign off I want to wish Big D lots of luck in Vegas this weekend. You are a really great shooter, you inspire me every day to continue on. I only have half your strength, and as I watch you travel through life I know that if you can make it I will to. I love you like my big brother, because you've always been there for me. I wish I could be in Vegas with you this weekend, but you know I'm rooting for you all the way from here. Just remember to not let anyone tear you down, you are a great shooter and you damn well know it!!! Maybe next year I'll be on that shooting line with you. No pressure, but make us proud!!! Love you lots!!!
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment