Sunday, December 11, 2011

The New Life: Colder Weather


The nightmare is one that bothers me every night. It’s been there lingering for the last couple of weeks. Usually it starts with the picture of me and him on his bike. You can see our two smiles, then the picture goes from still to life, the bike rumbles to life, I wave goodbye to my Mom and away we go. It plays out almost exactly the same way it did the day the picture was taken the movement the reactions, the happenings. Except something changes and we end up on the highway to the hills, somewhere we didn’t originally go that day. As the dream progresses everything is great and then suddenly the bike tilts and we begin to slide across the pavement. He reaches out to catch me, his eyes meet mine, the love is still there, he wants to catch me, but I keep sliding.

Sometimes the dream stops here, other times it moves to us standing in the parking lot talking. The conversation lingers and stays the same, the look in his eyes is the same, and the heartache is still there. I just turn and walk away, and as I reach my car my eyes meet his. There is where it always ends.



Of course I know what the dream signifies, losing love. It’s just odd that it begins with that day, a day when I couldn’t have been more in love with him. My nightmares of my high school sweetheart are completely different; they aren’t vivid like this dream is. They don’t haunt me like this dream does. There is something different about this dream, something that I haven’t exactly figured out . . . something. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment