Friday, December 9, 2011

From the Saddle: Wanted- Joint Doctors


Today I found myself facing the unbearable fact that I may not get a show season in 2012. Boo Boo has pulled up lame. I’m hoping he’s just pulled a muscle since he wasnt lame Wednesday and with a little bute he will straighten right out. If not I’ll be taking him to Sturgis to the best leg doctor around. You may ask why not a local vet, well they are great in emergency situations, but jumper legs are a little more complicated. I need to take Sweet Cheeks up there to have his leg ultra sounded before show season also. The joint he injured a few years ago gives him no problems, but I am curious as to how much scar tissue is in it, and if he really will be able to keep up with the rigors of the show circuit again, after all we both are older.

Show season is looming, so is my knee surgery. But I’ve been connected with a surgeon in Chicago that thinks a complete knee replacement isn’t necessary. I fly up the week before Christmas to have my consultation with him. I hope he has a real solution that doesn’t involve ripping my knee out…

If I do end up with a complete replacement I might as well forget showing, even riding, this year. It’s going to put a hold on competing in the ring, competing with my bow, and even riding my motorcycle. I’m dreading it, fearful of the change, fearful it won’t really help my situation. But let’s hope Mr. Chicago has some better answers and that the boys don't have to go see their own joint doctor....

No comments:

Post a Comment