Monday, December 12, 2011

Fall in The Clearing




You hear it every day
Once upon a time they say
Once upon a time in this place
I looked and saw on your face
A smile that spoke to me

In oh so many ways



Hoping and believing
That love built this garden

For the two of us to dream in



We’d get a little rain
Then the sun came out again
But a frost it’s hard to fight
Once it takes hold flowers die
There’s only so much you can do

To keep some things alive

Sad to say, it’s true
Without a lover who

Cares as much

_Love Built a Garden_
Elton John
Re-read the lyrics, it's not about a garden at all



This is where I have found comfort lately, in the clearing. Hidden in the tall grass and bare branches. I sit and wait, for what I'm not sure. The deer have migrated for the winter, to better ground with more forage and cover. I don't carry my bow when I go, I usually just find my way there at odd times of the day, times when my mind is clear.
I'm not sure what draws me. Maybe it's the memory of hunting here. Maybe it's the empty deer trails with the fallen leaves. Maybe it's the frozen lake. It's all gone like the love, gone. Soon there will be a heavy snow and the tall dry grass will be gone too. Soon the wind will blow and the dried leaves will blow away.
But what keeps drawing me here...

No comments:

Post a Comment