Sunday, May 1, 2011

From the Saddle: Spring Canter

As promised here is the new series From the Saddle!

This afternoon I spent some time in the saddle. It was a much needed break from my crazy life. Legend had spent the better part of the morning giving a new jumper a lesson. I decided that we both just needed a nice long canter through the hills, so we went.
I opened the gate, tacked him up, and away we went, into the hills. He settled nicely into a walk and then a trot. The wind had settled and there were big puffy clouds in the sky. I relaxed and took a deep breath of the fresh spring air. A pair of pheasants skittered through the grass and then finally flushed up into the sky. Legend's ears moved a little as he watched them, "it's alright." I crooned. He crested his neck and let a little crow hop out. "Alright lets go."
I asked for a smooth canter, he easily took it in stride and moved out. I settled into the saddle and smiled a little. My soul sung as we cantered across the meadow. I slowed him as we came to the wet spots. He settled easily and crested his neck. Mud flung up onto my jeans. The smell of fresh soil filled my lungs.
We worked our way across the meadow and road up into the soft hills. Then I really put him to work. I asked for a canter, he moved easily into it and cantered through the soft, thawed, dirt. "Easy." I crooned as we topped one hill and cantered down it. His gray mane floated in the wind.
Eventually I slowed him back down to a walk and pointed him towards home. I laid the reins across his neck and let him do the walking. There is no other horse on this planet I would trust as far as I trust him. Soon we reached the gate and eventually the hitching post. He waited patiently while I dismounted. I rubbed him down, actually brushed him, then let him lose back into the pasture where his mare stood waiting for him.
He found a soft patch of dirt and rolled. I sat on the mounting block and watched them for a long while. My heart was happy, I was happy, the world for that brief moment in time didn't matter to me. I watched him and his mare communicate with ear flickers. I figured he was telling her about the hard work I had just put him through.
Eventually time will come where I will be able to spend hours in the round pen and on the backs of my horses. Eventually my crazy life will allow me some peace. It might be soon, but then again it might not be. But if I can get two hours of peace a week, like I did today, well then everything is going to be just fine.
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment