Monday, May 16, 2011

From the Saddle: Cute Undies Aren't for Horseback Riding

I learned a couple of lessons from my horse this weekend. First I learned that if he says the cinch isn’t tight, he’s probably right. After I finally got the cinch tight and got into the saddle I learned that if he says the mud is too deep, it probably is, and lastly I learned that cute undies are not necessarily proper for horseback riding.

I saddled Sweet Cheeks up in the English saddle and got ready to mount up. I use a mounting block due to the fact that my knee can’t support all of my weight while swinging up. Sweet Cheeks kept side stepping and dancing around, something he has never done, something he was specifically trained not to do. I cursed at him and finally got him to stand still. I put my foot in the stirrup and swung up, my saddle slipped and I found myself on the ground. He stood looking at me like I was an absolute idiot. “I told you so.” I could almost hear running through his head, “silly girl, you never listen.”

After I fixed everything and finally got mounted we worked our way across the meadow. The lake is swollen with water which spills out into the meadow turning it into a swamp. Usually there is a good crossing in the middle of the pasture, unfortunately it wasn’t this weekend. He danced and pranced and tried to avoid crossing. I pushed him on, daring him to find out what would happen if he didn’t. He set his head and trudged across the meadow. Mid way the mud got deep and he had to pull his feet higher out of the ground. He snorted and again I could hear, “I told you so silly woman.” I mumbled, “Yeah shut up.”

By the time I had finished riding I had the worst wedgie I’ve ever had. I learned that lesson without Sweet Cheeks comments. Forget the cute undies to ride in, they aren’t necessary! But at least I didn’t have underwear lines!

Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment