Monday, July 2, 2012

The New Life: Unknown Legend


More was about a quarter mile behind me. The wind was gentle and quiet; I was surprised at how still the sandhills were. I listened to the tractors rumbling across the valley. A thick haze hung in the air, the smell of burning pine trees stung my eyes. But somewhere in it all I could here More softly singing to the sorrel.

I listened closely, unsure of the song he was singing, “She grew up in a small town, never put her roots down, Daddy always kept movin', so she did too.”



My grey’s ears flickered as he listened to the cowboy behind us signing. I smiled as I suddenly recognized the song. “Somewhere on a desert highway, She rides a Harley-Davidson, Her long red hair, Flyin' in the wind, She's been runnin' half her life, The chrome and steel she rides, Collidin' with The very air she breathes, The air she breathes.”



I knew as he changed the lyrics he thought I couldn’t hear him. I smiled and let him keep going. As he got to the end I stopped the grey and let him catch up to me. “Everything okay?” he asked as his horse topped next to mine.



“You know it ain't easy, You got to hold on, She was an unknown legend, In her time, Now she's dressin' two kids, Lookin' for a magic kiss, She gets the far-away look, In her eyes.” I sang to him.

He blinked at me, “I’m guessing you heard all that.”

I smiled at him, “every lyric.”

He shifted uneasy in his saddle and looked off in the distance.

“I must say I really like the red hair version.” I said softly.

His eyes met mine as I kept smiling.

“Tell me, are you falling for me?” I asked.

He was still pretty serious, “it’s a real possibility.”

I nodded, “as long as we are on the same page.” I sunk my heels into the grey and loped off before he could change his mind. I looked over my shoulder at him still standing there; it was the look in his eyes that caught me off guard. The look I had been praying to see since the first time I met him…




oh and if you don't recgonize the song its Unkown Legend by Neil Young  circa 1992...

No comments:

Post a Comment