Monday, July 23, 2012

The Sportster: Getting Back in the Saddle


My “family” came into my life shortly after my divorce, two bothers Big Poppa and a second Momma. They’ve been there for me through the ups and downs. They come and ride with D and I, they were there at the hospital the second they heard about my accident. Plus they are my shooting buddies; they always manage to keep me on track!

Big Poppa has been encouraging me to ride again; he’s been a lot more assertive about it in the past couple of weeks. This weekend he finally caved my defense.



Big Poppa looked over his glasses at me, “you ass is getting on so just shut up.”

I sighed and stared at my helmet in my hands, “I’m scared.”

He smiled at me, “Don’t be. You’ll be riding with me.”

My brother smiled at me, “nobody better to ride with then Dad.”

I sighed and slipped my helmet on.

“Atta girl.” They said in unison.

I swung my leg over and smiled for the picture. I was uncomfortable and nervous. Poppa’s bike isn’t as comfortable as the touring bikes, but I found myself comfortable and at ease once we got on the highway.

Eventually my nervousness worked out of me and I was able to relax on the bike. It was then the fever caught me, the need and want to be back on the Sportster. When we stopped in Hastings for lunch dad asked about the bike, “how’s progress?”

“Slow.” I groaned as I stared at my coke, “Charming only has so much time to work on it, and I’m kinda thinking he’s being slow to keep in touch with me.”

“What does D say?” Big Poppa asked.

“He’s irritated.” I said softly, “But he won’t say anything because they are all friends.”
Poppa nodded and Brother stared at me, “I see your hunger again.” He said softly.

“Yes.” I said smiling up at Brother, “yes it has.”

Poppa reached across the table and laid his hand on mine, “Welcome back Baby Girl.”

No comments:

Post a Comment