Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Corgis Diet


The corgis are now on an All American, all natural, doggie diet. I’ve struggled with Kodiak to keep his weight down; it’s been a losing battle. After a health scare last week I’ve decided it’s time to be an over protective mother. It’s going to be an interesting transition, but I have my vet on board so it shouldn’t be to horrible.

First thing is first finding an all natural dog food. I’m currently cooking for them. Chicken and rice mostly. It’s time consuming and I’d really like to find a good, natural, dog food to feed them. A trip to the pet store is in order, I’m thinking Blue Buffalo, or something along those lines.

Next comes the rewards, treats and rawhides. Treats aren’t a big deal, a couple of years ago I started making my own, all natural, dog treats. I’ve made some improvements to the recipie since then and the dogs really seem to enjoy them. But the rawhides are something I can’t make. The ones I’ve been buying locally aren’t made in America, that’s going to change. After hearing how a few local dogs got sick from these rawhides I’ve decided not to allow them anymore until I can find American made.

The vet had to take x-rays last week, to make sure Kodiak hadn't ingested something he shouldn't have. Not only did these xrays show his digestive system they showed his hips. As suspected he's developing hip dysplasia already. The vet suggested putting him on glucosamine and fish oil. So once his tummy has settled down he will start getting those supplements, along with Adalade just for preventative purposes.

After it’s all said and done I’ll feel so much better about what I feed my dogs, not that they care. My corgis are my kids and I don’t intend to feed them anything I’m not 100% sure about. As for the weight issue, the vet and I both hope that this will help Kodiak shed some pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment