Monday, February 6, 2012

A Bowhunter's Legacy: Still shooting 300s


The first time I broke 300 I never expected to do it again. I was used to shooting great scores then dropping back to the bottom of the barrel, however it’s remained consistent. I’ve shot four scores in a row all over 300. What’s changed? Good question…




I’m still shooting the Parker side kick extreme, in pink of course. I haven’t adjusted the draw length, it’s still 26 inches. The poundage is still hanging at 55. My arrows are still 28 inches, even though they are now a menagerie of brands. I’m still shooting my wrist release, simply because I was ordered not to switch back to the handheld… and I’m still listening even though he’s gone. My rip cord is still holding up to the abuse. So what’s changed?

My sight, a couple of months ago I bought a TruGlo Micro-Brite sight. It’s a simple 5 pin micro adjust sight; however I had one hell of a problem getting enough up and down in it. In the end it all worked out for the best. Because I couldn’t move the sight up any further and I was still six inches high I adjusted my nocking point, peep sight, and d loop. Guess what it did, sorted out my all over problem.

Of course I shoot best when I stay focused on shooting. I switched back into a WhisperLite peep sight. It has a larger view in it, I’m able to see all of my pins without adjusting my anchor point and the black fingers keep the other archers on the line out of sight. Now if I can get over trying to wrestle the pin to the center I bet you I’d jump my scores once again.




I’m changing the strings out on my bow. I’ve shot with the same string and cables for over a year now; it’s time to change them out. I would really rather wait till off season to do it, but the string has started to fray where the peep sight is. I’m not comfortable shooting it any longer. I ordered a custom made string and cable set, in black and pink of course.

I also ordered a half dozen of the Ted Nugent Gold Tips. Most of my pink v3s are broke, I’m down to three. I love the v3s and in the end I’ll probably end up going back to them. But I figured I’d give Mr. Nugent’s arrows a try, after all I hear he is an Archery God (catch the sarcasm?)

No comments:

Post a Comment