Sunday, October 9, 2011

The New Life: Her Visit


She sat in the chairs that lined the back of the range behind the shooters line. Her cigarette in hand, smoke swirling gently around her. Her laugh echoed through the range as the dream started. I stood my parker in hand, the pink arrows gleaming in the florescent lights of the range. “Alright let’s see what this bow does for you.” She said.

I smiled, knocked the arrow and drew back. I settled into the shot and began to pull. The string made a twang followed by a quick echo of the arrow hitting the target.

“A little to the left, but it would be a kill shot.” She stated then took a drag of her cigarette.

 I eased the bow onto the bow stand and stared at the arrow down range. “Think I’m ready?”

She nodded. “Yep, you’ll get your deer.” She paused then smiled at me, her favorite part was coming; the motherly lecture “So now that we’ve got that sorted out tell me, what’s going on with this restlessness?”

I shrugged then sat down next to her in a yellow chair. “I couldn’t tell you honestly.”

She took another drag then exhaled. “Any suspicions?”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

“Alright spill it.” She said as smoke swirled in the air.

I sighed then leaned back into the chair and crossed my arms. My pink bow shone in the lights as I starred at it, “I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you in your final moments.”

She smiled, “You were, much like I’m here with you now. Beck shit happens, you were going through so much yourself. Honey I knew you were there.”

I looked over at her, “Sonny I was your daughter, I should have been right there through it all.”

She laid her hand on my knee, “Don’t beat yourself up. I understood.”

“I love you more then words can express.” I whispered.

“I love you to honey. If you ever need anything from me I’ll be there.” She said as she snuffed her cigarette out. “Looks like your doing okay right now.” She said.

I nodded.

We sat quietly for awhile. Then she asked, “How did Bowman’s birthday go?”

I looked over at her, my eyes wide, “How did you know his name?”

She smiled and winked, “I know everything.”

I leaned forward onto my knees, “You’ve always been a meddler.”

She laughed tipping her head back, “and now I’ve got a lot more access.”

I starred at her blank eyed, “Sonny.”

“Oh don’t worry I’ll stay out of it.” She paused and lit another cigarette, “Just promise me you will take it day by day and second by second.”

I stood up and smiled down at her. “I promise.”

I walked over to the shooting line and down towards my gleaming arrow. ‘Day by day.” She said behind me.

“and second by second.” I answered as I pulled my arrow.

“I’m always with you.” I could hear her say.

I turned to walk back to her, but the range was empty, her cigarette rested in the ash tray a small spiral of smoke rose from it.
“Okay Sonny.” I whispered.

No comments:

Post a Comment