Sunday, October 16, 2011

The New Life: D's Sleeve


I rolled over onto my stomach and dug through Bowman’s hoodie for my phone. I found it twirled it in my fingers and starred at the number on the screen, The Big D. I sighed answered the phone and laid back onto the bed.

“Hey I thought you were coming up for the party last night.” I mumbled as I rubbed my eyes.

“I’m sorry I was really busy yesterday.” He said back the sound of Omaha behind him. I could tell he was on his deck, probably playing fetch with his dog.

“To busy to come see your sister.” I said and pulled the covers back over me.

“Baby Girl I’m sorry. I worked over time, helped a pal put in some tiles, and then spent the afternoon test riding bikes.” He said. I could hear his dog scurry across the deck.

“Playing with Bella?” I asked, “Wait did you just say you were test driving bikes?”

“Yes to both.”

“D you’ve got two bikes you don’t ride.” I mumbled with a sigh.

“I think this third bike will get a lot more time put on it.” He said, possibly hinting.

I paused, “You didn’t buy me a bike did you?”

“I dunno. But I did buy a new bike.” He said. I could hear Bella’s tags clink.

“D.”

“Beck.”

I sat in silence for awhile listening to the murmured voices upstairs. “D if you bought a bike for me I will beat the crap out of you.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He said. “So how was the party?”  



As I sat on the back of Bowman’s bike this afternoon I could help but smile. There is something about being there with him that makes my blood rush hard. When he lays his hand on my knee I know everything is okay, all the doubts and worries, the stresses, they melt away. I’d love to have my own bike, but I also love riding with Bowman.

We will see what the Big D has up his sleeve. If he bought me a bike I’ll have to think really hard about if I want to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment