Monday, September 26, 2011

The New Life: I'm Back


I rested in the shade beneath the Russian olive tree.  The meadow was clear, the deer still finding their way to it. I sat and enjoyed the afternoon symphony from the birds in the cottonwoods. I thought about everything that has happened this past week.

Bowman and I are still together. Tuesday was rough; it was hard to face the fact that our relationship might have reached its end. I don’t want this to end at this point. We both agreed there are issues, and we are going to work on them. I watched the cows across the meadow. It was a quiet hope that washed over me. A hope that everything will sort its self out and we can get back to how we were.

I thought about this weekend and the amount of fun I had. I shot in an archery tournament in Omaha. The longest shot was 35 yards, it’s was a cake walk compared to our shoots. There were six of us in my division, I place second. I was elated when the scores came across the board 368 out of 500. That is the best I’ve ever shot, I hope that it continues into the league, but it’s doubtful. My bow is still not shooting perfectly. But then again who, besides Bowman, has a bow that shoots perfectly for them. There is always some sort of tweak; mine just has more then others.

There was a gentle shift in the breeze and I thought of Sonny. The anniversary of her death is quickly coming up, October 9th. I keep thinking about my promise to her, the promise that I’d take a deer with my bow. I’m working hard on it, but I’d like to have that promise fulfilled for her by then. It’s hard to think about her death. It was hard to not drive by the range while I was in Omaha. It was impossible to believe that she wasn’t going to be there.

My eyes shifted to the corner of the field. The does stood there quietly making their way onto the field. I sighed leaned my head onto my knees and watched them. It’s been one hell of a week for everyone involved. This week started off with one challenge after another and it’s only Monday. Here’s to hoping the past doesn’t repeat itself and that this week straightens itself out….

No comments:

Post a Comment