Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Bowhunter's Legacy: The Quiet Muley


I slammed the palms of my hands into the hard concrete. Pain recoiled throughout my arthritic body. I laid on my hands and knees panting in the cold fall rain. I had decided on three miles, I felt I was ready, but just as I reached the two and a half miles mark my knee had enough. Nausea waved through my stomach into my throat.

I lay down in the wet grass and tried to recover. In the distance I could hear the throaty roar of the thunder. I shuddered as the wet began to seep through my pink fleece coat. I began to cry, frustration settled as I realized I had done this to myself.

The tall drying grass waved in the cool settling breeze. I closed my eyes as pain screamed throughout my body. I tried a pain management technique I’ve learned, meditation. But it didn’t work; I couldn’t draw my mind out of the pain. So I lay as I waited for the pain to subside.  I’d been in the tall grass for about fifteen minutes when I heard something coming. I panicked as I rolled onto my stomach and sat up.

I met nose to nose with my buck. He looked at me curiously. The Big Guy in Camo’s story streaked through my head as my eyes widened, he had had a group of muleys try to trample him to death, but the buck gently touched his nose to my forehead, blew warm air, and then continued on his way.

I sat in silent shocked and watched him work his way down to the pond. I shuddered as I grew colder and realized my knee had quit screaming. I stood up and quietly walked home. The buck watched me pass then continued into the trees. I left him there, questioning if I had the heart to take him.

We shall see in the morning, I’m quietly hoping he disappears on his own accord, but then I think about another hunter taking him, it hurts more. We shall see where our continued path takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment