Friday, September 16, 2011

A Bowhunter's Legacy: Full Blown


There is something about the wind through pines that seems to settle me. As I settled into my full draw I couldn’t help but think about how quiet the woods were. Thirty yard away stood a very nice buck, a buck that would have looked great on my wall. I say would have because, well he would have if hadn’t spooked.

I was taking my time settling the shake out of my bow arm. I saw him simply as one of the foam targets on the range. I settled my pin in the kill zone. Just as my pin settled I heard a car door slam up at the top of the canon. My buck raised his head and without any warning quickly dashed down the woods. He was out of sight before I could even think.

I was sitting there listening to the pines, starring through my empty peep sight thinking what the hell just happened. I groaned let the bow down and listened to the sound of the wind in the pines. I sat there waiting patiently in hopes he’d come back. He didn’t.  Of course there is always next time, but it never fails.

Archery league started last night. I scored a 353. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad, but considering the last time I shot an animal round I shot a 260 I’ll consider it improvement. I’m looking forward to the indoor season. It’s one of the things I enjoy the most league and competition.  Reflecting on where I was this time last year I’d say I’ve made leap and bounds as an archer. But what I am most proud of, the fact that I actually feel confident as a shooter.

As for the buck, maybe it’s meant to be. But still it’s really disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment