Friday, March 18, 2011

Shot Sequence

Alright, it's going to bug me until I share this. I had MC take pictures of me in shot sequence. Lets pick them apart. Remember I'm not perfect.

Let's start right here. This is actually a different shot then the last two pictures, but here is what I think is wrong. See my grip on the bow, it's tight, and it stays that way. Can we say torque r us.


Full drawn my grip is still tight, I could choke a chicken! My arm isn't bent, My hip is forward, to bad MC cut my feet off but I bet they aren't set up right. Oh and I've really pulled that string into my face hard.

 And the conclusion, a flinch. Look my eyes are closed, I'm cringing, my arm is torqued, my hip is still in it, and I haven't followed through.
Looks like I've still got a lot of work to do. I guess I shouldn't be so tough on myself, it was the first time I shot this bow. Think I've got bad form?

1 comment:

  1. Actually it's not too bad. Hard to judge without a video of the shot showing the whole sequence.

    First, a finger sling will allow your to have a relaxed bow hand. I use a shoe lace that is tied between the thumb and index finger, and is just slack enough to allow the bow to roll forward on release.

    Try this for a few shots and gain confidence that the bow will not fall onto the ground, then focus on hand position. Place the grip of the bow along the pad of the thumb, and allow your fingers to relax. You may find that they can be tucked out of the way, with only your index finger just brushing the front of the riser. This is an excellent example of a good hand position (this is Duncan Busby, the number 1 compounder in the UK and has won Gold at the Commonwealth games - a world class archer): http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcTUeEWh3hL06IYixKuDbied_cEtn6nB-yu2Bqsi7HK9shhCzt

    Looking at the second picture, your line from your bow hand through to the drawing elbow looks pretty good. Don't worry about your bow arm not being bent. It needs to be straight, but relaxed and not hyper-extended. This will allow the bone structure to support the weight of the bow. Bending the arm will require muscles to hold the bow. When muscles are used, they are under tension, and therefore will causes the shakes. Your bone structure is solid and required very little energy to hold the bow.

    It does look like your leaning back a little, that could be your draw length is a little long. I would say you need to knock 1/2" off as a starter. Your feet look like they are shoulder width apart which is good, but its hard to really tell without a full picture.

    I would suggest that you get a longer stabiliser for the bow. The field ones are very short. Ideally you are looking for the longest, lightest and stiffest rod, with as much mass pushed out to the ends as possible; as much as you can comfortably manage. This will then resist torque much more, although there is no substitute for good hand position to minimise it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete