Saturday, March 26, 2011

Breaking Myself Down

This weekend I broke myself down as a shooter. It took about 30 seconds. I rushed myself into the shoot this weekend. I've never broke myself down, I've never been so upset, I've never ever reacted the way I did. But once I broke myself down there was no recovering. But I couldn't quit, I knew if I walked away I'd never pick my bow up again, so I struggled through.

When I woke up this morning and got dressed for the shoot I was filled with dread. But I put it aside and stopped thinking about what went wrong yesterday. I adjusted my sights and warmed up for the shoot. The bow felt lighter, and my grip felt nicer. I let the bow rock in my hand after release, I didn't snatch.

My first two shots of the shoot were an 8 and 10. I held on strong with only 8 wall shots. I've figured out that if I'm relaxed and let go of the prior shot I shoot much better. I appreciated all of the support and help from my fellow archers. I've made some really great friends at the range. They know when I am upset and they know that I need support, so they give it to me.

My ending score was a 217, the first time I've broke 200 in a tournament. I'm happy, very happy. I never would have gotten there if it hadn't been for the help of my shooting buddies. You guys are excellent and I am glad to call you my friends.

When I watch the young archers on Tuesday nights I think about where they will be in 20 years. Will they be helpful to new archers. Will they understand the ethics of shooting. Will they continue on what we've taught them. Will they lead by example.

I will never break myself down like I did. It was horrible, I've never felt that way in my entire life and I never want to feel it again. I tell the girls I shoot with not to get frustrated, then I go and do what I did Friday night. I need to work on that leading by example.

Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment