Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The New Life: Looming in the Moonlight


I settled into the tall grass down in the clearing. I hadn’t been there for weeks; I had all but forgotten this place. It hadn’t called me, it hadn’t drawn me, but after two weeks in Omaha I figured it wouldn’t. That was until the run in at the range. I pulled into the parking lot, made my way up to the range and saw the bow case before I saw him. I recognized it instantly and caught my breath in my chest. “Are you ready for this?” I had mumbled to myself. I hesitated wondering if I was.



The full moon was hidden behind the building clouds. I could feel something lurking in the trees; I hoped it wasn’t a mountain lion. “Why is this bothering me?” I asked out loud.

I heard her voice before I saw her moving through the faded moon light, “Because you gave him the power to do it.”

“Is this a haunting?” I asked to scared to move.

She sighed, “Stop being silly, you asked me to come.”

I nodded, “I guess I did.”

“Why did you give him the power to play with your heart?” She asked.

I shook my head, “I don’t know Sonny. In all honesty I was fine until he flipped an attitude.”

“Well he’s just showing you who he really is.” She said.

“In his defense I did use the attitude first.” I mumbled.

“Don’t fucking defend him!” She yelled.

I closed my eyes. “Sonny I’m over him. Honestly I am, my heart doesn’t hurt anymore and I am moving on.”

“Don’t worry about Bowman. Keep yourself collected while shooting. I watched you; can you explain any of those groups to me?” She asked, her voice rambling in my head.

“I was distracted. I don’t have an excuse.” I whispered out loud.

“You can’t do that at the shoot. You can’t be like that if you want to go pro.” She said quietly.

“I know. Big Rick and Ty will be there, I’m hoping they’ll keep me on track. Can you help me?” I asked.

I could almost hear her smile, “I’ll help you as much as I can. My first advice, don’t fucking worry about his shit.”

I laughed.

“So tell me about Waterfowler.” She said changing subjects.



I sunk into the seat of my car staring out onto the open meadow. I sighed thinking about her advice. I remembered the promise I had made myself at D’s dinner table, “I’ll be on top no matter what.” I thought about how I shot and the horrible feeling of being distracted. “It’s going to get better; he didn’t break my heart tonight, that’s a start.” I mumbled to myself. I grabbed my phone as I started my car.

Big D: “Hey baby Girl everything okay?”

I smiled. “If it’s not now it will be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment