Friday, January 6, 2012

The New Life: Echo

“Believe me the irony isn’t lost on me.” I said as I took a drink of my whiskey.
The fire pit glowed in front of us. Pecos Bill chuckled, “I’m just saying you broke your ex’s heart. It doesn’t surprise me Bowman did the same thing to you. After all we both believe in Karma.”
I smiled, “that we do.” I took another sip. It was straight whiskey, on the rocks. My day had been long and when Pecos had stopped by to chat I had invited him to stay for dinner.
Pecos has always been like my father. He helped me through some really hard times; times I doubt I would have made it through as clear if he hadn’t been there. He’d always picked me up when I was down and thrown me back into the saddle, sometimes literally. His ties to my family had only been strengthened after my divorce. He had once said, “don’t worry, I’ll always love you like my daughter.”
“I don’t blame Karma. I’ve done some shitty things in the past, I deserved everything I got.” I said as I stared into the flames.
“Well things are going to change right?” He asked.
I nodded, “I’m looking for good karma.” I whispered.
“That’s good to hear.”
We sat quietly for a while listening to the fire pit and the coyotes in the distance. I looked over to Pecos, “Thanks for everything.” I whispered.
He smiled and laid his hand on my arm, “you are very welcome girl. I hope this year brings you everything you want.”

I smiled, "this is a good start."

No comments:

Post a Comment