Wednesday, January 11, 2012

From the Saddle: Rescuing Each Other


“I’m tired of talking about the past.” I said as I swung the saddle over the grey.

AJ looked over at me, “Wow what’s wrong?”

I sighed as I reached down for the girth, “I don’t want to talk about the breakup anymore. I’ve moved on and I’m sure he has. I just want to leave the past in the past. I owe it to myself.”

She nodded as she pet the already saddled sorrel.

“I’m sorry I don’t mean to be short about it.” I said as I tightened the girth. “But you understand don’t you?” I asked as I looked over my horse.

“Yes. I understand.” She half heartedly smiled.

“Are you sure you are ready to ride?” I asked, dancing around the subject that I thought it was too soon.

She nodded, “Geo’s gone, I can’t bring him back. But I don’t want riding to be spoiled just because I lost a horse.”

I sighed, “A, it’s okay for you to mourn. He was a good horse, you raised him. You don’t have to get back into the saddle just yet.”

She smiled, “If I don’t do it now, I won’t want to ever do it again.”

I nodded, knowing she had a point. “Okay, well I’m going to pony you on him because I don’t know what he’ll be like.” I said as I bridled my horse.

“We’ll be fine.”

“No he needs to be ponied.” I said as I mounted up.

“Beck.” She said sternly glaring at me.

“Fine.” I sighed. “But keep the lead rope on incase I have to rescue you.” I growled.



She reached her hand down his neck, “What were you worried about?” She asked as she stroked him.

I rolled my eyes, “please don’t say that we aren’t home yet.”

She smiled, “Beck, thank you.”

I smiled back at her, “you are welcome.”

She straightened in the saddle, “I always had a crush on this horse.”

I looked over at her, “what?”

“I had a crush on this horse from the day you two arrived at the show barn. I watched you lead him off the trailer and I was smitten. I used to sneak him treats and dawdle in his stall when you weren’t around.”

I laughed, “That’s why he always checked my pockets for treats, it was you!”

She smiled, “It was. I think Geo was jealous of him.” She sobered at the sound of her horse’s name.

“I’m sorry for your loss.” I whispered.

She snapped out of her day dream, “God was just ready for a great horse like Geo.” She said with a smile.

We rode in silence for awhile. The light powdered snow crunched quietly under the horses’ hooves. I sighed as I tried to stop thinking about the previous night, “I wish I didn’t have to see him around town.” I whispered. “I wish he didn’t shoot at the same range as me.”

AJ sighed, “No one said it would be easy. Besides you are going to be out of here by the end of the winter and on to better things.”

I smiled, “you think?”

“I plan to kidnap you after the International.” She said with a smile.

“I was actually thinking about moving to North Platte. The Game and Parks has a job I’ve applied for.” I said as the grey flipped his nose in the air.

“Ah, just make sure you aren’t moving for a man.” She said with a cocky smile.

I sighed, “I’m moving for myself.”

She smiled. “I suppose I’ll believe that for now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment