Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Ranch Girl Experience

The ranch girl experience may very well become a new series, but for today it’s stemming from a comment I made to my assistant trainer a few days ago, “we are learning how to become ranch girls.” She laughed but I was serious.

Over the past couple of months my ranch girl education has been taking crash courses. First I had a crash course in fence repair. Then a couple weeks later I had a crash course in tractor operation. Then finally I had a crash course in vehicle repair, twice…

“How do you get two vehicles stuck in the same spot?” He asked.

“Don’t ask.” I mumbled as I sunk into the Adirondack chair on the patio. He laughed as the phone crackled a little.

I rolled my eyes as I thought about what had happened. I was driving along the fence looking for where the horses had torn through it. The meadow is wet, that much I knew, just how wet was the question. I reached down to turn the radio down to listen to the ground below the truck when all the sudden I was stuck. It was something I had never felt before, no gradual slow down, no sucking, just a stuck. I sighed then leaned a little out the window to see how deep. “Half way up the wheel.” I mumbled. No need to try, it was stuck that much I knew for sure.

Earlier in the day I had questioned my assistant’s decision to wear shorts, she would quickly learn why. We got out of the truck and began the trek to the tractor. As soon as we stepped foot out of the truck we were drowning in a swarm of mosquitoes. By the time we had made it across the meadow she was covered in mosquito bites.

We found the tractor covered in spider eggs and hatchlings. I sighed and decided that since we couldn’t identify the kind of spiders we were best to leave them alone. Eventually we got back to the house and began trying to revive the old suburban. We tried to jump it but quickly realized there was more wrong with it then the battery. With a phone call and a little help from my assistant’s uncle we got it running.

I got it stuck too; on ground I thought was dry. All in all I was full of dumb decisions. But at least we got some ranch girl experience! Eventually I called in back up and we got both vehicles unstuck, just before the thunderstorm.


My assistant is in for a crash course in ranch girl. Whether she knows it or not I hope she’s up for the lessons!
Becks

1 comment:

  1. Being a rancher is an exciting job! For you'll be able to spend time with cows, cattle, horses, goat and more. Learning new kind of livelihood is very thrilling. By the way, you can advise your partner to wear appropriate clothes when going to a ranch. Mosquito bites can be harmful! And how is the tractor doing now? I'm hoping to know more about your ranch experience. Hoping to hear from you soon! Have a nice day. ~ciao
    Darren Lanphere

    ReplyDelete