Friday, June 24, 2011

From the Saddle: Accident Prone

Through out my equestrian career I’ve seen a lot, I’ve been in a lot of bad situations. I’ve seen friends break their necks riding over jumps. I’ve felt a horse break its leg on a jump. I’ve watched horses fall into jumps. I’ve seen dreams end.

As I laid on the back board with a neck brace on in the ER I began to think about my entire career and all that has happened. I thought not only about what has happened to me but what has happened to my friends. I remembered being drug through the arena, I remembered breaking my knee on a jump standard, I remembered slamming into concrete, and I remembered the feeling of Moon breaking her leg. Pain pulsed through my body with the last memory, eventually the nurse put meds through my IV that relaxed my muscles, but it didn’t help, the pain was still in my mind.


I laid on the back board as they did the CAT scan on me. I closed my eyes and pictured Kell’s horse Kooper. He was a beautiful blood bay. His breeding was superior, he was noble, and he knew it. Suddenly I pictured the day he died. I flung my eyes open trying to avoid the memory. He broke his leg, his short life ended at eleven.


The nurses moved me from the CAT scan bed back onto the rolling bed. I closed me eyes and tried to not think about Cally and Mark. Both were killed in riding accident, Cally was 18 and Mark was 32, both lives full of potential. Mark left a pregnant wife behind. Cally was looking to join the US Equestrian Team.
I thought about all the acquaintances I knew just through showing who have been injured. I thought about all of the horses who have been lost. Simply silly I thought. Jumping is a dangerous career choice.

I could have decided to be a western pleasure trainer, a polo player, or even just a riding instructor. But I didn’t, because despite all I’ve seen and all I’ve been through, jumping is and will always be my passion.
No one will tell you that horses aren’t dangerous. Each discipline has it’s own dangers, jumping just seems to have a pretty high level of danger. Is jumping worth all the pain, blood, and tears? You bet. Because Kooper, Cally, and Mark all died doing what they loved.



My accident was sobering. I realized if I hadn’t been wearing my helmet I probably wouldn’t be writing this right now. I wouldn’t be thinking about my next ride. I wouldn’t be thankful that someone was watching out for me. Will it keep me from jumping? Probably not. Will I be cautious? You bet. I always am.

From this moment forward I will never mount up without a helmet. Neither will my assistant or our clients. I’m thankful I walked away with only a concussion, it could have been much worse, I might have not walked away at all.



God bless you and yours. Please be careful…

Becks
Dedicated to all those who have lost their lives doing what they loved...

No comments:

Post a Comment