Wednesday, July 6, 2011

From the Saddle: Luna

Legado de la Luna. That is her name, Legacy of the Moon. The day she was born was the day my life changed forever. I had made a lot of life decisions. I was distracted and un happy. When I found her in the pasture with her momma all my worries were gone.
The day of my riding accident was a bad day. Work and my relationship had worried me. My nerves and patience were fried, in hindsight that is probably what got me into the accident. But before the accident I stood down by the round pen as my assistant worked her horse. I watched her closely as she bonded with the mare. Then quietly and swiftly I felt a nibble on the back of my shirt. Luna was still lose in the pasture, and there she stood behind me.
I turned and petted her. I rubbed her whole body, it was only the second time I had ever touched her. My heart flew into my throat as I realized the gift I've been given. The only other mare I've ever bonded with was Moon, the very mare this filly is named for. I knew I was correct in naming her after her, Luna is just as special as Moon was.
The native Americans believed that white horses were symbols of light, hope, and the messenger of birth. White horses held a special place in their belief system. Luna holds a special place in my heart. She was born a few months before I decided I wanted a divorce. She is my symbol of hope, my guiding light.
She has come a long very nicely from the first day I handled her. I am excited to continue getting to know her and to continue her training. I know one day she is going to be a very talented little girl. Who knows maybe she is my next jumper. But even not she sure is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment